All journeys have secret destinations, of which the traveler is unaware.

I have learned to be content in whatever circumstance I am. Philippians 4:11b

8.14.2010

Overwhelmed...

That's what I was last Sunday morning.  There was a specific event that caused this feeling...but I'll get to that after some backstory. 
When I first got back to the US I sent out a quick update just to let all my friends/supporters know that I was Stateside.  In that email I mentioned that I was hoping to try to purchase a new laptop this summer.  Not just any laptop, a Macbook Pro.  I explained that I want a Mac so that I can start doing some good quality videos for the Mission (I do have a degree in A/V production after all) but that I know Macs are very expensive and if I'm not able to get one, it's just fine. 
I was at one of the congregations that I call "home" here in the US last Sunday.  For Sunday School I got to hear a great message by Mr. Hammer (from Togo) about how he grew up and how his family got to Togo.  In between Sunday School and the Preaching one of the elders from the congregation that I've known since I was a little kid and who was the one that organized a trip to Ghana/Togo 3 years ago that was my first trip, pulled me aside because he wanted to talk to me about something.  We went into an old, un-used office and he said "did you get your new computer yet?"  I told him I hadn't and he pulled a stack of credit cards out of his pocket and started explaining to me that he'd gotten them through work (freqent traveler points kind of thing) and that each one has $100 on it....there were 11 of them!  Then, as if that wasn't enough, he handed me a check to take to the other congregation I call "home" to my forwarding agent.  I didn't even look at it because I was too busy telling him how much I appreciate him and how he's the only one that responds to my newsletters and what an awesome, encouraging man of God he is. 
O-V-E-R-W-H-E-L-M-E-D
When I sat down next to my mom I was telling her about it, and that I didn't look at the check & she said "give it to me...I'll look at it!"  After she looked at it she said, "I think you need to look at this check.."  It was a personal check from him for One Thousand Dollars!  once again O-V-E-R-W-H-E-L-M-E-D
All during the singing and praying I was just feeling this sense of awe.  I even had a hard time singing at one point because I was trying not to cry.  God is so awesome....
After the service, a lady that is very supportive of my work in Ghana came up to me and handed me $25....she said "It's not much, but use it to buy yourself something....a splurge."  This lady is pretty old...I'm not sure of her age but her husband is 92.  She has told me more than once that she always wanted to go to Africa to work as a missionary so she really admires me.  They don't have a lot of money, so that twenty-five bucks is probably actually a sacrifice for her.  Then a lady, who happens to be the generous elder's daughter and was also on that first trip to Africa with me, handed me a check for $100 and said "use it for your Mac." 
O-V-E-R-W-H-E-L-M-E-D
I don't want to say that I can't belive it....because nothing that God does should surprise me...but I was shocked.  Unfortunately the generosity of people is surprising sometimes.  Living in Ghana and seeing the great poverty there, the real need for things that are NOT luxuries...food, clothing clean water, safe housing...then coming here....sometimes it kind of makes me sad that people are so selfish.  But it's people like these 3 (and many many more that I haven't talked about here) that give me hope about America.  True Christians are not selfish, they're generous....so I guess it shouldn't surprise me when they are generous to me. 
I guess I'm getting a Mac :-)   I'm already excited thinking about different types of videos I can shoot for the mission and yes, for fun too. 
On a different note;
I'm planning on posting here more regularly.  I've been thinking about schedules a lot lately and I think if I actually schedule a blog post on my calendar every 2 weeks then I will do it.  I've been terrible about keeping my supporters updated it seems.  I'm actually pretty ashamed of it.  I feel like I have a responsiblity to let people know what they're supporting and I don't think I've done such a great job this last year.  So I'm working on a schedule in my head (to be put on a calendar later).  Updates, blog posts, even notes and emails are going to all have a place on it.  I know that I have a hard time remembering to keep in touch with people...it's something I'm working on changing.  My schedule for the next 3 weeks is going to be busy.  Every Sunday and Wednesday starting this Sunday I have a presentation to do about Ghana.  I'm nervous and excited about that.  I hope I can get the things across in the presentations that God wants me to get across.  The important things.  I hope my supporters will see that their sacrifice is not in vain and I hope that maybe I'll gain some new support.  Well, I gues this post is quite long enough....so I'll end it here.  I hope you're doing great by God's Grace
AkoBAM

No comments: