All journeys have secret destinations, of which the traveler is unaware.

I have learned to be content in whatever circumstance I am. Philippians 4:11b

8.06.2009

lifestyles of the "rich" and not so famous

Rich:–adjective
1. having wealth or great possessions; abundantly supplied with resources, means, or funds; wealthy: a rich man; a rich nation.

What makes you feel rich? One of my friends posed this question on her blog today and it has really gotten me thinking. I used to think I was poor. After having lived in Ghana for 7 months and planning on going back I have a different view. I have friends there that get by with very little financially. As an American it's hard to have an accurate perception of what it means to be "rich" or "poor." I am not poor by the standards of most of the world, just by American standards. So I've decided to change my idea of "rich"
19And my God will supply all your needs according to His riches in glory in Christ Jesus. Philippians 4:19THIS is where i get my perception of what it means to be rich. I have been memorizing Philippians since I was in Ghana and I really want to be able to say that I have "learned to be content in whatever circumstances I am."I can't explain to people here why I feel so drawn to Ghana or why I love being there so much. There are people here (not my close friends) that I'm sure don't understand how I could live without some of the luxuries that I have here in the states. Air-conditioning, cable tv, high-speed internet, just to name a few. But really I barely missed them while I was over there. I miss my friends from Ghana a lot more than I missed any of the luxuries I had in the states. I will never use the word poor in the same way again. Next time you think you're poor, stop and think about what it would be like if you were REALLY poor.

No comments: