All journeys have secret destinations, of which the traveler is unaware.

I have learned to be content in whatever circumstance I am. Philippians 4:11b

8.31.2008

Where there's a will........

In Sunday school this morning we talked about praying and God's will. The question that was asked was something like "when we pray should be just pray for God's will or should be pray for specific things?" So while we were talking about it, I started thinking about Ghana (big surprise I know.) Someone threw out the Voltaire quote that "good is the enemy of best" and it just really stuck with me. I guess what I'm sort of struggling with is how will I know that it is God's will for me personally, to go to Ghana versus my own personal desire to go. Is my strong desire to go God's way of telling me to go? Someone else said something about how, they think that for some people, wanting to go overseas on a mission trip is a way of avoiding what God might be trying to get them to do right here at home. So, how do I know which group I'm in? It really scares me to think that I might be projecting what I want onto what God wants for me. I have a tendency to think and think about things, over analyzing them to the point that it just drives me crazy. I've emailed the man in charged of the school in Ghana (a week ago) and not heard back from him yet. So in my mind I can't help but think 'so is that God closing that door' but what if it's just God testing my patience, making me wait to see if I'm really dedicated to going back to Ghana...I think that doubt is one of the devil's biggest tools and I think he knows that it works really well on me. Don't get me wrong, I still REALLY want to go to Ghana, I'm just worrying what if I want to go for myself and not for God.....then I worry that I'm being silly and letting the devil make me doubt what God really does want me to do.....I can't decide if I've been thinking about it too much, or not enough. I dunno.

No comments: