All journeys have secret destinations, of which the traveler is unaware.

I have learned to be content in whatever circumstance I am. Philippians 4:11b

8.21.2010

home is where the___________ is...

So, the old saying goes, "home is where the heart is."  But I think that home can be a lot of things to a lot of people.  There are some things that just make me FEEL at home.  So here are some of the things that really make a place feel like home (to me);
>Great friends, no matter where I am, if I have some friends with me, I'm home.
>Family, sometimes family makes me feel at home, but sometimes they make me feel crazy ;-)
>Knowing my way around, a town, a friend's place, a kitchen, if I don't feel lost, I'm at home.
>Hot weather, I don't always like it, but I'm from NC, it's hot there a lot so I'm used to it.
>Sentimental stuff, you know your favorite trinket from childhood, for me it's a stuffed UNC ram that I got when I was about a week old.
>Pictures, now, for some people, pictures make them long for home, but for me, they remind me of the people that I love so I feel more at home when I have pictures of my friends and family.
>Music, I'm very musical so just hearing a few notes of a song can remind me of all wonderful people that I associate with that particular song.
>Food, I love to try food from all different places, but sometimes just digging into one of my favorite foods will make me flash back to the place that food reminds me of.
>A beautiful sunset/rise/starry night sky, anywhere in the world you can see them no matter the locale.
....I'm sure there are more things that would remind me of home if I really put a lot of time into thinking of it....but I'm not going to do that right now.  I've realized in the last few years that, for me, home is not so much a physical place as it is a state of mind.  I really can feel at home anywhere.
Wherever I am, there I am.
Cape Diem
BA

No comments: