All journeys have secret destinations, of which the traveler is unaware.

I have learned to be content in whatever circumstance I am. Philippians 4:11b

7.19.2009

Meant for this....

I've been thinking lately that maybe I am meant to be in Ghana. After recent donations I've received for my return trip in September I think it's pretty obvious that God wants me there. But I mean further back than that. A few years ago I never would have even dreamed that I was going to be going to Ghana ( I probably didn't even know where it was.) But there are aspects of my personality that just FIT with the whole missionary style of life. Wow, to refer to myself as a "missionary" in writing is really, really weird.
So what do I mean really? I don't even know really. Sometimes I think something is different or special about me and later I realize that everybody was like that. But for the sake of this post, I'll continue. As a child I was never one of those kids that got homesick or cried at sleepovers or camp. I've always been able to just be "at home" wherever I am. I never was a picky eater (obviously) and I'd always try new things even if I didn't think I'd like them. Maybe those are things God put into my personality to get me ready for Ghana. I've never been the kind of person that feels like they need to have lots of "stuff" to be happy. One of my really good friends in Ghana told me I was simple. He meant it as a compliment. He was basically saying that it's obvious to him that I don't care about possessions and having expensive things or a big house or whatever to feel successful. I know people that I don't think could live in Ghana, even in the city where I was. They'd be miserable without hot water for showers and without wireless high-speed internet and without digital cable. I've discovered over the last 7 months, that I don't really need to have any of those things to be happy. Apparently what I needed to be happy was to feel like I was doing something worthwhile. Maybe I'm stretching a little with the thinking way back to my childhood.....but who knows. I can't believe I'm sitting here in NC planning my trip back to Ghana, West Africa and I have no earthly idea how long I'll be there. What if I do actually end up staying there forever? I can't even wrap my brain around that.

No comments: