All journeys have secret destinations, of which the traveler is unaware.

I have learned to be content in whatever circumstance I am. Philippians 4:11b

10.13.2008

I just don't know

So, I should be in bed right now, but I started watching this show on Discovery. It was a news style documentary sort of show. Ted Koppel was the host/interviewer/narrator. The show was all about the KKK. I just felt so many different emotions as I was watching. I felt angry that one human being could treat another human being the way they KKK treated their targets. I felt sad that something like that could even happen here in the "land of the free." I felt cheated because we didn't learn about all of this in school as much as we should have. I felt ashamed that so many white, southerners just let it happen. How could you see people being lynched, and shot, and dragged away to never be seen again and just NOT do something to try to help. Mostly I felt really, really mad that this terrorist group (the KKK) poses under the guise of Christ. They spout scriptures and use religious imagery in their rituals and they, somehow, really think they are doing something that God himself would endorse!! Did you know that the last known lynching in this country was in 1981? Nineteen EIGHTY one! That was only 27 years ago, only a year before I was born. Yep. In 1981 a young man named Michael Donald, was walking down the street in Mobile, Alabama at night. Two young white men pulled up next to him in a car to ask for directions and they put a gun to his head and dragged him off into the night. He begged for his life, he offered them all the money he had. Ultimately they slit his throat a few times with a box cutter then waited until nearly daylight to hang his body from a tree in the middle of town with a noose so everyone could see. It makes me want to scream. It makes me feel physically sick. The fact that this group still exists makes me very angry. There's nothing I can do about it, but pray. I don't understand how people can claim Christ and think it's ok to treat any person, any human being so wrongly. I cringe when I hear "the N word." I don't care, if it's just a word, I don't care what the real origins of the word are. Ultimately that word, is detrimental to society. I could go off on a tangent here about some other things I think are detrimental to society, but I think I'll save it for another post. I am ashamed that in the United States of America we still have blatant racism, not just black/white racism. There is plenty of racism to go around over here. I know people that think that basically all /Middle Easterners are terrorists and they would not fly on a plane of a person that "looked" middle eastern were on the plane. Well, one of my brothers can look pretty Middle Eastern at times. Around here in this rural, agricultural area you can always hear somebody talking (complaining) about "the Mexicans." It makes me so mad. First of all, just because someone speaks Spanish, does NOT mean they are Mexican. Secondly, if we didn't have so many emigrants in this country there would not be any one to do all the real work. Next time you go out to eat, look in the kitchen of whatever restaurant you're in. I bet the majority of the workers are a minority group. You ignorant, white farmers want to talk junk about your "mexicans?" well who in the world would harvest your crops if they didn't do it? I have to quit typing now, I'm getting all riled up. I guess it's just something to think about.
Be like Christ, it's the only way to be

No comments: